-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Start Problem?

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 18:13:22 -0400

This entire situation is extremely odd.  I seriously doubt it's something in
your home's wiring, but doubt is not quite the same thing as elimination
from consideration.

When testing for broken wires, did you also pull, rather than push the
cabling away from the PS & mainboard connections?  Again, it shouldn't take
much pressure at all to reveal a break or other issue.  If you've already
done this, then we should be able to rule out broken wiring within the
cables.

There are so many different switch designs that it's nearly impossible to
give a range of resistance you'll measure, but of course it's a good test to
run.  The important thing is to get it connected to the meter, see what the
resistance is and then push the switch.  If it does what it's supposed to
do, you'll see the resistance drop close to zero for a moment, but only a
moment.  Just realize that the internal contact occurs and ends so fast that
the meter most likely won't have the time to get all the way to zero before
it jumps back up to whatever it was originally.  Be sure to push it several
times to ensure consistency.

It occurred to me that you may also have some corrosion on those two switch
header pins on your mainboard.  It may not be easy to tell and you'll want
the system unplugged for this one, but see if you can spot any discoloration
or physical bumps, scars, scores, etc. on the pins themselves.  I know
they're tiny and you'll need a magnifying glass to even have a chance of
spotting anything like this, but there just may be enough of something there
to prevent good contact between the pins and the contacts inside the switch
plug that goes over them.