-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Server / Network Question

  • From: ~OoO~ <SirTroth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 08:06:51 -0400

I'm assuming you're using a router. If so, you're local IP address is going
to be something like 192.168.1.1 (or .2 or .3 or etc). That's the local IP
that you don't use for others to connect to you. If THEY try to connect to
that IP address, they'll just be looping back to their own machine, causing
them to get a connection error.

You need the external IP address. You can get the external IP address
several ways. The easiest way I find is to go to:
http://www.whatismyip.com/

That's the address you give people.

BUT... with a router, just giving people that IP address is not enough. You
need to go further...

Open up your Serv-U program. Click on the SETTINGS under the domain/server
you have set up (not the SETUP riding across the top, but rather the
SETTINGS running on the left-hand side). Then, click the ADVANCED tab. In
there, you need to place a check mark in ALLOW PASSIVE MODE DATA TRANSFERS.
And, then enter your external IP address. Now, people should be able to
connect.

Further... everytime your external IP address changes, you need to manually
change that here as well.

ALSO... if you ARE running a router, you need to make sure you're allowing
access to that machine and port. By default, the router is going to keep
everyone out coming in on an FTP port.

---Troth