-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Reg key access denied

  • From: GuitarMan <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2007 15:14:04 -0400

Doc B,
    While "Move on Boot" won't help a registry entry, Safe mode may allow
you to remove the offending key.  Of course, all Registry editing cautions
apply here (Backup the registry first, don't remove anything you're not
absolutely sure of, reboot when you're finished, etc.).

    If it doesn't delete in Safe Mode, you may have a security policy in
place preventing its removal.  In this case, you'll need to boot normally
and then invoke the Policy Editor and hunt for/change the 'rule' that
governs that entry.  Unfortunately, there's not much I can do to help direct
you to the proper location for this control (perhaps try searching for that
specific registry string and see if anyone else has encountered this and
posted how they fixed it).  Policy editing cautions need to be in effect
here, as well.  Don't change anything unless you're absolutely sure that you
have found the correct entry/control you wish to modify.  You should also
write down the path to that particular entry so you can change it back if it
doesn't perform as expected.

    To access the Policy Editor, go to Start > Run, type in the following
and press Enter.

secpol.msc

    Good Hunting!             :O)

Peace,