-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Reg key access denied

  • From: "Dr. Benway" <benwaydr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2007 12:36:10 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks gman,

I found the little rodent with your help. Yet another
thing I did not know. I had no idea that registry keys
could have access rights defined and that they could
be defined by a software install without my knowledge.
This came about by an attempt to get data from an old
app that ran under Access 97. Acch!!! May Linux and
Open Source live long and prosper.

--- GuitarMan <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Doc B,
>     While "Move on Boot" won't help a registry
> entry, Safe mode may allow
> you to remove the offending key.  Of course, all
> Registry editing cautions
> apply here (Backup the registry first, don't remove
> anything you're not
> absolutely sure of, reboot when you're finished,
> etc.).
>
>     If it doesn't delete in Safe Mode, you may have
> a security policy in
> place preventing its removal.  In this case, you'll
> need to boot normally
> and then invoke the Policy Editor and hunt
> for/change the 'rule' that
> governs that entry.  Unfortunately, there's not much
> I can do to help direct
> you to the proper location for this control (perhaps
> try searching for that
> specific registry string and see if anyone else has
> encountered this and
> posted how they fixed it).  Policy editing cautions
> need to be in effect
> here, as well.  Don't change anything unless you're
> absolutely sure that you
> have found the correct entry/control you wish to
> modify.  You should also
> write down the path to that particular entry so you
> can change it back if it
> doesn't perform as expected.
>
>     To access the Policy Editor, go to Start > Run,
> type in the following
> and press Enter.
>
> secpol.msc
>
>     Good Hunting!             :O)
>
> Peace,
> GMan
>
> "The only dumb questions are the ones that are never
> asked!"

"A box of rain will ease the pain and love will see you through." Robert Hunter