-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Question about UPS and figuring how much I need....

  • From: "Wyatt M. Portendt" <nunyabidness6@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 17:25:38 -0600

Actually that isn't quite correct.  Even though there are three wires
involved, in house wire, which is called romex, the bare ground isn't
counted.  Therefore the wires involved are 14-2 and 12-2.  14-3 and 12-3
are used for 240 volt circuits, multi-wire branch circuits, and sometimes
in single pole switches where a hot and a switched hot are required as well
as a neutral to carry on.  Mostly always you'll find 14-3 and 12-3 in three
way and four way switches.  In those cables there will be four conductors -
the bares once again not counted.  The proper way of referring to romex is
12-2 with ground (two insulated conductors, usually black and white, with a
bare copper conductor) and 12-2 without ground which has only two insulated
conductors.  Same with 14 gauge 10 gauge, etc.  In rubber and thermoplastic
cord it is different.  There you count all the conductors and they are all
insulated.

Wyatt
Licensed Journeyman Electrician

~~~~~~~~~

On 1/16/2003 at 9:33 PM a whisper was heard, and the one known as Jim was
rumoured to have uttered....

          |  Where are you that you have postive, negative and
          |  ground.. Most houses
          |  have Hot, Neutral, and Ground and 12/3 is NOT required to get
          |  a ground,
          |  14/3 is code in most areas for 15 amp circuit, 12/3 for 20 amp
          |  circuit,
          |  both are over kill for a computer.
          |
          |  -Jim-
          |

          |  ronslanding wrote:
          |
          |  >Hi Billy!
          |  >
          |  >Don't know the origin of this error but you must have a 12-3
          |  line/cord in o=
          |  >rder for computer equipment, etc to be properly grounded -
          |  postive, negativ=
          |  >e and ground.  And, in lot of areas house wiring is only 14-2
          |  or 14-3.  Thi=
          |  >s means buying the 12-3 would not be much advantage because
          |  the house wire =
          |  >would and should have a 15 amp limit (unless its on the glass
          |  fuse and some=
          |  > dummy ups it to a 20 amp fuse which could cause a fire if
          |  shorts out).  IF=
          |  > you had to run an extension cord for say 20, 25 or 50 feet
          |  you might want =
          |  >to use 12-3 wire cord to cut down loss due to electrical
          |  resistance encount=
          |  >ered in a long extension cord (with a 15 amp fuse).  Although
          |  most modern e=
          |  >quipment has individual fuse protection you might not want
          |  the extension bu=
          |  >s fuse to be above 15 amps depending on what equipment you
          |  are going connec=
          |  >t to that line.  Another thing to consider-if the house line
          |  you connect to=
          |  > is 15 amps and the extension cord fuse is at 20 amps the
          |  house line fuse m=
          |  >ay blow first knocking out power to the entire house line
          |  including the ext=
          |  >ension cord bus.  This may not be desirable in most
          |  situations!  If the hou=
          |  >se wire is 12-3 with a 20 amp fuse or circuit-breaker a 12-3
          |  wire extension=
          |  > cord bus with a 20 amp fuse might be OK but there is still a
          |  chance that t=
          |  >he house circuit-breaker could blow first (although the
          |  extension bus fuse =
          |  >should be fast acting, fast enough to blow first).
          |  >
          |  >hth
          |  >
          |  >ronslanding@xxxxxxxxxx
          |  >
Time,=20
          |  >BashfulBob@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
          |  >
          |  >
          |  >
          |  >
          |  >>I am trying to remember how to figure out to guestimate how
          |  much you need.
          |  >>
          |  >>
          |  >>>I remember when I was desiging a compute room almost 20 yrs
          |  ago...an
          |  >>>
          |  >>>
          |  >>>
          |  >
          |  >Always remember more is better,ohms law,you can only send so
          |  much electrici=
          |  >ty=20
          |  >through a wire,a 15 amp circuit wired directly to your puter
          |  is fine,a 20 a=
          |  >mp=20
          |  >12-2 is better.At my house the voltage flows so freely i can
          |  run two tv's=
          |  >=20
          |  >.ex-box ,ps1,puter system and a hair dryer and still get 120
          |  volts at the=
          |  >=20
          |  >last outlet on the line.
          |  >KVA'S are usually reserved for heavier users like nuke
          |  plants.lol
          |  >Go to www.whatmakesthingswork.com
          |  >
          |  >To unsub or change your email settings:
          |  >//www.freelists.org/webpage/pctechtalk
          |  >
          |  >To access our Archives:
          |  >//www.freelists.org/archives/pctechtalk/
          |  >
          |  >
          |  >

          |  To unsub or change your email settings:
          |  //www.freelists.org/webpage/pctechtalk
          |
          |  To access our Archives:
          |  //www.freelists.org/archives/pctechtalk/

*** Disclaimer for Flamers, Trollers and those with no life ***

Some of the preceding is solely my own opinion and is not necessarily held
by any other person in any other place at any other time.  Reasonable,
courteous and respectful counterpoints as well as corrections are
encouraged., If you can not agree with these terms, please feel free to
shake your head, click "delete", or even PLONK me and move on.  I will not
engage in childish name calling over matters of opinion.  :)