-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Pirate XP Problem

  • From: "Trevnal" <trev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 14:19:07 +0100

All you have to do is format the PC, and then use the XP CD.  Part way
through the install, it will ask for your W98 CD, which it just used to
validate you own it already.

That way you do not have to put W98 on it first, and get it working.  I have
never done it, but it does work, I have known loads of people do it.  Just
Make sure you have the licence Key(s)  handy too.

Hope that helps,

Trevnal

From: "DON WHITNEY" <don.whitney2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> =0D
> Well, since your friend doesn't have any software installed, why not just=
>  format the hard drive, install W98, and get an XP Home upgrade. Seems to=
>  me the best and cheapest way to go.

There is software installed now-quite a lot too..I've put Zone Alarm, AVG
Anti Virus, Open Office, Win-Amp Win Zip plus quite a bit of other
stuff..nothing I don't have on disc  and can re-install without any major
problems, just the time it takes.

Looks like a clean XP Home install is the way to go, but do I have to
install 98 first? When you install XP, doesn't it only ask you to put in the
W98 disc and/or ask you for the licence code?

I'm not looking to cut corners here, but the quicker i can do this, the
better!!

Andy