-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Opening C drive from My Computer

  • From: "GuitarMan" <PCTech@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2002 00:31:07 -0400

Steve,
    Babydoll and I are in the middle of moving so I'm not checking my
messages as often as usual.  Having said that (so you don't think I've
abandoned you when I don't reply right away), my first troubleshooting
tactic would be to go hunting for whatever is calling for this SSSETUP.EXE
file.

    Go to Start/Find/Files Or Folders to open up the Find Utility.  Once it
opens, make sure that it's set to look through your entire C:\ drive (under
the 'Look In:' field).  Next, type in SSSETUP.EXE into the 'Containing
Text:' field.  Note that this is NOT the same as the 'Named:' field.  Using
the 'Containing Text:' field will be asking Windows to search inside the
CONTENTS of every file on the drive, rather than just look at their
filenames (we're doing it this way because the error is being generated by a
file that's internally calling for this SSSETUP.EXE file).  This search WILL
take a bit of time to run.  Even if it comes up with a hit soon after it
starts, let it go until it's searched through all of the files.  This will
ensure that you've found every instance of the name SSSETUP.EXE in your
system.  Hopefully, there will only be one hit when it's completely
finished, but let's make sure that's it.

    If your search doesn't find any files that contain the filename
SSSETUP.EXE, you'll have to extend the search to any additional partitions
and/or drives and run it again.  If it does find one or even a couple of
files, reply to this with the list of files it finds and I'll show you how
to get rid of the faulty reference call.  If it finds a bunch of them (too
many to list as requested above), just let me know that and we'll try to
narrow down the search.

Peace,
GMan

PCTechTalk Owner