-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Off Topic- Safe websites?

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 21:04:22 -0700

Hi Robert,
www.yahooligans.com

Parental Resources
 http://www.yahooligans.com/parents/
"Safe surfing" is a family affair. As a parent, it's all about being
informed, Internet savvy, and open to the possibilities of the online world
for you and your child. We'd like to help. Please consider the following
safe surfing guidelines:

Surfing As A Family Adventure
Everything you ever wanted to know but were afraid to ask. Read about
creating a Family Pledge (or just look at our sample), check out our
checklist to help keep your child safe, and get informed about other issues
surrounding letting your family online. We'll even tell you why you should
bother letting your child go online, and how you can figure out when you're
looking at an advertisement.

Safe Communication Online
Your children want to communicate with others; here's what you should know.
How should you choose an ID with your child? What about their public
profiles? And what is a privacy policy, anyway?

Plan Against Inappropriate Material
What to do and whom to contact if your children encounter materials that
make them uncomfortable. Also, some thoughts on sharing your credit card
information with your children.
~~~
http://www.yahooligans.com/Parents__Guide/Browsers_for_Kids/

http://www.yahooligans.com/Parents__Guide/Blocking_and_Filtering/
~~~
Internet Filter - this program monitors, filters, analyzes, and logs
Internet access by users.
the internet filter

Our filtering software company is widely known for having first launched our
state of the art filtering devices in 1995. The IF ONLY and the IF NOT
filters have become the backbone of many systems in the international market
place and have been offered under a variety of brand names.

On 17/10/2002 at 10:26 PM Robert Carneal wrote:

Hello. This is off topic, but I would appreciate help off list please.

Our neighbor next door knows very little about the Internet. She baby sits
four grand kids and they take advantage of her when she catches them at a
web site most parents would object to. When they tell her that's all they
can go to on the Internet, she does not know enough to take them to another
site, and fearful she will "mess up" her son's computer. The boy found a
site displaying way-worse than Playboy type pictures, and she thought about
just pulling the cord but they told her that would cause the computer to
"die permanently" and she bought it.

Can anyone volunteer some sites that are "parent approved" please? She
knows how to type a URL- I have showed her that. Please put "Safe kids
sites" in the subject field when you write. I don't have kids yet, so I
don't know what is out there.

Thanks very much for your time.

Robert
carnealr@xxxxxxxxxxxx