-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Need Advice On Networking Equipment

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 18:26:59 -0400

Hi Sandy,
    The best & worst thing you can do is to hunt down all the info you can
find on a subject.  It's the best because you get to see a lot of the
pittfalls that have hit others on their way to Nirvana.  It's the worst
because you will almost always find a lot more info than you really need,
most of which can cloud the issue and possibly lead to 'paralysis by
analysis'.

    My guess is that your internet connection already comes directly into
one of the rooms in question and goes directly to one of the computers.  If
that's true (or can be made true), you can save some money by connecting one
of the computers directly to the new router instead of going wireless.  This
is actually preferable because you should always have at least one system
connected directly to the router in order to access its Settings area as
needed (i.e. you should never enter the router's settings from a wirelessly
connected system).  If you can mount the new router to the side of the
computer deask, it will only require a relatively short ethernet cable
between the router and main computer.  Since the two computer rooms are both
on the same side of the house (minimizing the number of walls between them),
the second system shouldn't have much trouble getting a decent signal.  A
wired system will get the maximum throughput (bandwidth) allowed by the
router, but the wireless one will get closer to half of that.  You'll have
to work out for yourself 'who gets what' at your house.    lol

    As for the wireless tech, 'G' is the most widespread so it's also the
best bang for the buck.  You can expect wireless connections around 54 Mb/s
with 'G'.  'N' speeds are usually above 100 Mb/s.  'N' is only expensive
because it is relatively new.  I expect the price to continue to drop as
more folks buy it, though, so don't avoid it if it happens to be included
with a router you otherwise want to consider.  Having a G/N router will give
you the option of upgrading the wireless computer's adapter in the future.

    I'll take a look at the router you have and get back to you if I have
anything more to add.  A non-reply on that (by tomorrow) means I don't have
anything negative to say about it.       :)

Peace,
Gman

http://www.thevenusproject.com/index.php