-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Need Advice On Networking Equipment

  • From: Don <dsw32952@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 17:26:35 -0400

1.  Linksys makes, IMHO, the best networking products available for the
retail customer.  NetGear is good, Belkin is OK and other brands also
probably work well.

2.  Internet download and upload speeds usually top out at about
15mbps.  So a "G" router and adapters that transfer data at up to 54mbps
is plenty fast for most people.

3.  If you make massively HUGE file transfers wirelessly between your
computers or need to place the computers way far apart or if you want
the neighbors to be able to use your internet connection (not
recommended) buy an "N" standard router and adapters for the extended
speed and range.

4.  If one computer is a desktop and will be close to the modem and
router, it can be wired and save the cost of a wireless adapter.

5.  The final "N" standard has not been set in stone yet so some
implementations use techniques that are optimized to same brand
adapters.  Different brands still work OK together but may suffer a
small performance drop.  Also, even after it is finalized, different
companies will use different techniques to make it "better".  Those
techniques will again only work with same brand equipment.  A
Super-Dooper Ultra-Range Double-Speed LinkSys 802.11n Router will work
with all features only with a like equipped LinkSys adapter.  With any
other Linksys or any other brand it will function only as a plain
vanilla 802.11n device.

6.  Compare prices including shipping and sales tax with local
retailers.  Local buying may have a small price premium, but if you need
to return a product or get some customer service you will do far better
and far cheaper with a local retailer.  The items you linked to would
total about 8 to 12 bucks less than my local Wal-mart prices.  Should
you need to return them expect to pay about 8-12 bucks in shipping and
spend a lot of time at the UPS store.  And we won't talk about the hours
on hold to get an RMA from an Asian support agent.

Don

WhatzForDinner wrote:
> Ok, We're going to try to set up a wireless network and seeing
> as how I/We are not real computer savvy, I've been reading
> up and printed off some great info on setting up a network
> using linksys products and I just want to make sure that these
> two items I've selected work together before I order them.
> We have one pc with xp professional and also one with Vista.....they
>  are in two different rooms, both rooms at one end of the house.  I
> don't know which version of Vista, but I don't think that matters.
>
> The wireless network adapter (I know I need 2 of these)
> http://tinyurl.com/npvds2
>

> The wireless router
> http://tinyurl.com/nrkqqw
>
> In some info I have printed off the route shows as one that's
> blue and has antennas on the outside, but from what I've
> found is that cisco bought out linksys and this is the new
> replacement for that older model.  I've also heard I should
> stick with the "G" router as the "N" series is #1 more expensive
> and #2 newer so a lot of equipment doesn't work with it.
>
> Would love any input.
>
> Thanks,

in the Subject.