-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Need Advice On Networking Equipment

  • From: "bashfulbob" <bashfulbob@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 08:03:44 -0500

Hi Christy
Here is what it says at Netgear web site: "Double Firewall
using Stateful Packet Inspection (SPI) and Intrusion Control
features Denial of Service protection from hacker attacks
..."
http://www.netgear.com/Products/RoutersandGateways/WiredRouters/DG834.aspx

Since I have bought mine serveral years ago (ancient by
computer development standards) I am sure they have other
routers with advanced technology.

Now for the wireless router:

This is for the DG834G Router
http://www.netgear.com/Products/RoutersandGateways/WirelessGRouters/DG834G.aspx

(Here you can see a comparison between their "G" and "N"
rated routers)

Below are SOME of its aspects
Physical Interfaces
  a.. LAN Ports: Four 10/100 Mbps autosensing, Auto UplinkT
RJ-45 ports (one Cat 5 UTP cable included)
  b.. WAN Port: ADSL RJ-11, T1.413, G.DMT, ADSL 2+, ITU
Annex A
  c.. Wireless: 802.11g access point auto rate capable up to
54 Mbps
Security

  a.. Firewall: Stateful packet inspection (SPI), intrusion
logging and reporting, denial-of-service (DoS) protection

  a.. VPN functionality: Supports up to five (5) IPsec VPN
endpoints, VPN Wizard to assist in VPN setup, VPN
pass-through for IPsec, PPTP and L2TP VPN
  b.. Mode of operation: Network Address Translation (NAT),
static routing
  c.. IP address assignment: Static IP address assignment,
internal DHCP server on LAN, DHCP client on WAN
  d.. Wireless: WPA2-PSK, WPA-PSK, WEP, WPA-802.1x,
WPA2-802.1x

This is for the DG834N Router

Says it is NOT AVAILABLE in North America
http://www.netgear.com/Products/RoutersandGateways/RangeMaxWirelessNRoutersandGateways/DG834N.aspx
Security

  a.. Double Firewall:
    a.. Network Address Translation (NAT) to hide PCs and
files from outside users
    b.. Stateful Packet Inspection (SPI) firewall to deny
outside requests for personal information
  b.. Denial of Service (DoS) attack prevention
  c.. Intrusion Detection and Prevent (IDS)
  d.. WiFi protected Access (WPA2- PSK, WPA- PSK)
  e.. Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP) 64- bit, 128- bit
encryption
  f.. Wireless Access Control using MAC address
authentication to identify authorized wireless network
devices
  g.. Exposed Host (DMZ) for secure gaming
  h.. VPN pass-through (IPSec, L2TP, PPTP)

Hope this helps

Life is what happens in between plans.

Virus free email by McAfee's
(Got fed up with Norton's)

This message and attachment(s), if any, is intended for the
sole use of the individual and/or entity to which it is
addressed, and may contain information that is privileged,
confidential and prohibited from disclosure under applicable
law. If you are not the addressee, or authorized to receive
this on behalf of the addressee, you are hereby notified
that you may not use, copy, disclose or distribute to anyone
this message or any part thereof. If you have received this
in error, please immediately advise the sender by e-mail and
delete this information and all attachments from your
computer and network. Thank you.