-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Medion Computers

  • From: "cris" <cris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 08:30:36 -0400

> Thank you!
> It is a 2.8 GHZ Pentium 4
> 512 DDR 120 GB hard drive
> 64 mb nividia video card
> nVidea G Force 4 something 400 graphics card -
> with a 17" flat screen monitor -
> Thinking seriously about it - $1300.00
> Cris

That's about £800 in our money and is pretty similar to what they sell for
here..I read the description on the last one they sold and it was all really
cutting edge, quality parts. good sound and video cards, plus smart card
readers, front USB and audio controls, CD-DVD writer. Windows XP, software
bundle...etc..etc..

The supermarket chain they sell through is called Aldi, which is a German
chain, and Medion is a German company. They usually sell the tower and
monitor separately, along with printers, reasoning that many people will be
buying a machine like this to replace a PC, rather than as a first purchase.
They usually advertise about 2 weeks before they are putting them on sale in
their stores and the shop stock sells out within a couple of hours. I
believe that the medion brand is also now appearing in PC World (a large
national computer outlet).

Check what sort of back up service you'd get, if it looks ok, I think you'd
be very happy with your purchase!

Andy

Thanks Andy! We have Aldi's here! I always sort of joke about how they've
started to sell computers and things like that. Here, it is a cheap way to buy
grocery's - all their own brand - some are very good and some are so so. I would
never have thought to trust a computer purchased from Aldi's!! Unless it is a
totally different Aldi's here than there. But now that you mention it, I recall
that being the brand they have in the advertisements.

One of my concerns is buying it all in one box - and not knowing everything
about it - and not really knowing what sort of back up service there would be -
That's still a lot of money for me - (especially if I'm getting ripped off!) but
it seems the comparable Dell is over $1800.00. I looked up Computer Active, and
there one complaint was no floppy drive. I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure
this model has a floppy drive. I need a floppy drive - or a bay to put one into
it. It had ports on the front and extra usb ports. I saw the small card readers
also - my camera is that new format - X-D picture card. I don't think there is a
slot for that one!! LOL I also don't know if it has capabilities to say - add a
2nd hard drive - or extra ram -  Also - if it wasn't in a box, I would consider
XP PRO, instead of XPHome - I have home now - but still....it doesn't sound
shabby!!
Cris