-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Medion Computers

  • From: "cris" <cris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 10:05:22 -0400

Sounds about the same here..virtually all own brand stuff, and most of it is
at least as good as you'd pay loads more for elsewhere-They just don't do a
wide enough range to do a full weeks shopping though (Their chocolate is
just fantastic!!!!)

**Ahhh! Never saw chocolate in ours!! ours isn't close enough to me to really
use it on a regular basis. Wish there was one closer. And the lines are a mile
long - 1-2 registers open. I went in the other day and walked out - along with a
lot of other people. The wait to get out we guessed was at least 45 mins. to an
hour.

> One of my concerns is buying it all in one box - and not knowing
everything
> about it - and not really knowing what sort of back up service there would
be -
> That's still a lot of money for me - (especially if I'm getting ripped
off!) but
> it seems the comparable Dell is over $1800.00. I looked up Computer
Active, and
> there one complaint was no floppy drive. I'm not positive, but I'm pretty
sure
> this model has a floppy drive. I need a floppy drive - or a bay to put one
into
> it. It had ports on the front and extra usb ports. I saw the small card
readers
> also - my camera is that new format - X-D picture card. I don't think
there is a
> slot for that one!! LOL I also don't know if it has capabilities to say -
add a
> 2nd hard drive - or extra ram -  Also - if it wasn't in a box, I would
consider
> XP PRO, instead of XPHome - I have home now - but still....it doesn't
sound
> shabby!!
> Cris

I think the last version didn't have a floppy drive, and it does seem to be
a thing that is happening more and more now-the space is being used for
something else-the reasoning being-why do you need them when you have a
CD-writer..Must admit, I haven't used a floppy now for two years and I've
not put them in any machine I've built up over the last year either. A few
people have said 'I need a floppy', and when you ask why, they don't have
anything that can't be backed up easily onto a CD-R or RW. The only real
reason I can think is if you want to move information to a REALLY old PC
that has no CD drive.

** I need a floppy because I do our High school marching band newsletter, and
the band director
prefers to swap some information via floppy's. Plus, my daughter has had to
bring floppy's home
from school on occasion and she does a calendar every month for hubby's office -
and it is done on a floppy.

** MoBo??  <smile>
You should be able to find out what the MoBo is-especially if they've got
one of them on working display-it will be a modern one (hence the DDR RAM)
and a quality one for sure and so adding more RAM should not be an issue,
nor should adding an extra hard drive, though I'd check that by doing so
would not invalidate your warranty.

As I said before, the service I got when the Medion DVD player I have broke
down, the customer service really was excellent-now, you may be used to that
over there but here 'Customer' and 'Service' do not usually go hand in
hand!! Put it this way, every time Aldi have them in, and I go shopping in
there with my better half, I spend half an hour rubbing myself against it
and making strange whimpering sounds...though my 'He followed me home, can
we keep him' always falls on deaf ears!!!! Although I like buying the bits
and building my own, if I broke the price of the components down on the
Medion PC's, I doubt I could build one for the same price.

**My son always says he'd rather build his own - but now he's hinting that his
is old and I think he's tired of re-building it. My daughter would get this old
one if I get a new one - and I believe he is jealous and would rather it be
given to him to canabalize! It's still a great machine and would be great for my
daughter. Plus - if I can get everyone elses stuff on their own system's instead
of mine, I can only blame myself when it gets too bogged down with all the stuff
I tend to save on it! I always wait almost too long to back my 'stuff' up.
thanks again!