-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Mail Washer error

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2002 19:30:24 -0700

I use MailWasher, and like it.
 I do have the advantage of dual monitors.

I have Mailasher running all the time on my second monitor.

I have it set to make a sound when a new message come in.
I also have my email program ( Calypso) on line all the time,
but have it set to check mail after 120 min.

When I hear the beep I glance over to the MailWasher
screen and see if it is something that requires action;
Delete, filter, or add to friends.

If it is something that is from my 'friends',
I click on the 'check mail button' in my email program.

Unfortunately my ISP will not allow me to bounce messages:<(

http://www3.telus.net/mikebike
See my Anti-Virus pages ~ http://virusinfo.hackfix.org

On 08/07/2002 at 9:46 PM Jim wrote:

I rarely start mailwasher because of the multiple steps one has to
go
through.

I have my mailer set to pop for mail every 2 minutes while it's
running. If
I start mailwasher and go through the mail once then have it start
my
mailer, which will get whatever mail is there then plus whatever
NEW mail
that comes in while it is in the
process of getting the mail, which almost always happens. So those
new
mesages never got processed by mailwasher.

It would be nice if mailwasher or someother program would SIFT the
mail
first, bounce the ones iin my bounce list, then get the 'good'
email and
pass it to the mail program behind the scenes, this way the mail
program
would never actually get the mail
from the pop server directly.

I do wonder if the bounce feature really does much good. At
minimum it
saves on the downloading of those messages which is nill for me,
at minimum
it takes a VERY long time for me to manually scan through the
headers to
decide which messages to bounce, so
I'm inclined to just let my mailer pop all the messages and pass
them
through the filters in the mailer itself where I can rather easily
modify
the filter to circular file the garbage. What I'd really like is a
spam
spammer option, that is, build a list
of spammers addresses, and any junk mail that comes in would be
automatically forwarded to all the spammer addresses as thou it
was sent
directly from the spammer, leaving out my email address and all
the other
mail server addresses. Only spammers should
be sent spam.

-Jim-