-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Mail Washer error

  • From: Jim <n1jmm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2002 21:46:01 -0400

I rarely start mailwasher because of the multiple steps one has to go through.

I have my mailer set to pop for mail every 2 minutes while it's running. If I
start mailwasher and go through the mail once then have it start my mailer,
which will get whatever mail is there then plus whatever NEW mail that comes in
while it is in the
process of getting the mail, which almost always happens. So those new mesages
never got processed by mailwasher.

It would be nice if mailwasher or someother program would SIFT the mail first,
bounce the ones iin my bounce list, then get the 'good' email and pass it to
the mail program behind the scenes, this way the mail program would never
actually get the mail
from the pop server directly.

I do wonder if the bounce feature really does much good. At minimum it saves on
the downloading of those messages which is nill for me, at minimum it takes a
VERY long time for me to manually scan through the headers to decide which
messages to bounce, so
I'm inclined to just let my mailer pop all the messages and pass them through
the filters in the mailer itself where I can rather easily modify the filter to
circular file the garbage. What I'd really like is a spam spammer option, that
is, build a list
of spammers addresses, and any junk mail that comes in would be automatically
forwarded to all the spammer addresses as thou it was sent directly from the
spammer, leaving out my email address and all the other mail server addresses.
Only spammers should
be sent spam.

-Jim-