-=PCTechTalk=- Re: I've lost my sound (Chronological order...)

  • From: "GMan" <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 18:45:09 -0400

HB,
    Two things.  First, I didn't previously catch tha fact that you DID have
sound at the new house when you first plugged everything back in.  While it
may be important as we move along with this, it doesn't help me help you
right now, so that is off to the back burner.      lol

    Second, the fact that you're able to get headphone sound through all 3
sources tells us that it is NOT a problem with the software, driver or sound
card.  The problem definitely lies somewhere within the speaker system, but
past the puck.  Since you were able to hear it through your hockey puck, the
signal is at least traveling through the wires you have plugged in from the
sound card to the puck.  Your next job, should you choose to accept it, is
to folliow the wires from the point where they leave the puck and see if you
can find a problem beyond it (mine goes from the external volume control,
the equivalent of your puck, directly to the subwoofer which then
distributes the signals to the small satellite speakers).  You may discover
another chewed wire between the puck and subwoofer.  You may be able to
'feel' a broken wire along its length that is not readily apparent by
sighting it.  The connector at either end (or where the wire passes through
the two devices it connects) may have a short in it.  The power supply for
the speaker system may be not fully plugged in (either end) or broken (if it
uses a wall transformer, known as a wall wart to some, it should feel warm
to the touch if it's working properly).

    I'm very glad you sent in this post.  It included everything we needed
and was organized perfectly to help us get this thing resolved.  Let us know
what you find.

Peace,
GMan