-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Interesting entries in mscofig startup

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 19:27:24 -0400

Don,
    Right after I hit Send, I realized that I should have included the
following.

    Since two Sonic items are in question (at least by me), you might want
to try reinstalling that app and then rechecking MSCONFIG before doing any
of this.  All it takes is for a refrigerator or air conditioner compressor
(among other things) to turn on at the exact moment a file is being copied
for it to become corrupted.  If it occurs during an application install, you
could easily end up with an interesting result that's extremely hard to
troubleshoot.

    The approach I offered is limited to the items with an obvious issue
(file not found) which may or may not be intentional.  However, it's also
quite possible that the cause of the blank lines lies within one of the
seemingly good items in this Autoruns list.  The original suggestion still
stands (which now follows the reinstall idea above), but I wanted you to be
very aware that it may not be enough to isolate the Startup tab items.  It's
just more likely to be within the not found items.