-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Installing a second hard drive

  • From: "BashfulBob" <BashfulBob@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 00:40:40 -0500

Hi again Connie.

Let me expand things a bit here, Since your case is going to be open and
your are working in it ..... as I forgot to mention a couple of suggestions.
(forgive me if you have all ready considered or know about these
suggestions. I do not mean to insult your intelligence, just hate not to
mention it and find out later you didn't know or think about them.)

Your new HD probable will come with a flat ribbon cable. If the inside of
your case is crowded with cables this could restrict air flow substantially.
(the smaller the case, the more likely the problem.) Adding the extra drive
will increase the heat in the case, and heat is a big enemy to computer
components. I am assuming you have only one fan in the case.

I will make a couple of suggestions here for your consideration.
1) replace the flat ribbon cables with those round ones. They cost a little
more but will be less restrictive on the air flow. If you elect to do this,
just make sure you get one(s) that are long enough. Air flow consideration
is a more or less an intuitive one.

2) separate the HD from each other the widest you can (cable will permit) so
air can easily flow around them. This is usual only one bay maybe two.

3) consider adding fan(s), (large box BALL BEARING fans) to the case.
Preferable at least one blowing directly on the HD(s) or one of them. If you
can't do this due to case design, see if you can mount one as an extra
exhaust fan (rear of the case).
    3a) Consider buying the fan that mounts on the bottom of the drive,
instead of or addition to the other fans I suggested. You will probably need
one or more "Y" (yes that is what they call them and sort of look like)
connecters

4) If your CPU does not have a heat sink unit (large block of heat
dispensing material with fins) and a fan that mounts to it, look into the
feasibility on installing one. Depending on how old your MB is, if may be
difficult to plug the fan in. A small chat with your favorite tech may be
well advised here if your not sure. Newer MB usual have a plug for the CPU
mounted fans close by the CPU. The connectors are usually small.

Life is what happens in between plans.

Virus free email by Norton's