-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Installing a second hard drive

  • From: "BashfulBob" <BashfulBob@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 23:43:27 -0500

HI Connie
You may want to install the new drive (assuming it is a larger drive then
what you have presently) as the main drive.

You did not say, or I missed earlier threads, how old the MB and/or Bios is.
Real older ones may not see any more than 8 gigs, regardless of the size of
HD you have. Others, you may have to set, (in the Bios) the size you want
the Bios to see.

You most likely will have to go into the bios and configure it to see the
slave HD. You must have the jumpers on the main drive and the slave drive
set accordingly. Usual, the main drive will be set to master (which may you
not use the jumper at all) and the slave set to slave. Check on the HD, most
will tell you how to set the jumper over which posts to make it what you
want.

NOTE how the cable on the main drive is set up. Pay particular attention to
the one side of the cable that has a solid red line running down one wire on
one edge. This indicates the number one wire in the cable. This must be set
to the number one pin on the connector on the MB. Also note where this line
is in relation to where the power plugs in to the HD. The slave should work
the same way. Now days most connectors are made so the can only be plugged
into the HD and MB one way, but I suggest you make sure before you
disconnect or connect anything (draw a sketch if it will help). When you
check the connector, look for a small triangle (usual) by one of the posts
( the red line on the cable should go to it). That usual indicates your
number one pin or post. Usually there is a tab (rectangle tit) on the cable
plug end that goes into a rectangle slot on the connector on the HD and MB
so it can only be plugged in one way.

Now you must decide if you want both drives hooked up to the same cable or
different cables and connectors on the MB. I suggest the latter. If you want
both drives on the same cable, the may require that the main be hooked to a
certain connector and the slave then goes to the other one. I can't remember
which connector on the cable goes to which drive right now, maybe someone
will mention it, or I will get back to you on this.

When the slave is hooked up, formatted, partitioned (if you want more then
one drive on the HD) the puter will see it and you will see addition drive
letters when you go into Windows explorer or My Computer. You access the
drive and any programs you install on it like you now do on the single main
drive.

You do not install your present OS on the slave unit. I suggest you format
the slave to the same as the main. (Fat 16, 32 or NFTS)

Hope this is of some value to you. Good Luck

Life is what happens in between plans.

Virus free email by Norton's