-=PCTechTalk=- Re: IE Association Error

  • From: dktrfaustus@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 01:34:47 +0100

On 28 Apr 2005 at 19:31, Don wrote:
> I don't know why you included AI RoboForm in your list of things to
> delete... perhaps it was infected by what ever got into her computer.
> I have used AI RoboForm for a year or so.  It is a very powerful and
> useful password keeper, formfiller etc.

Hi, Don,

Strictly speaking, any program that performs these actions is a
security risk. Keeping passwords on your PC, encrypted or not, is
asking for trouble.

I take your point, however, Don - thank you for the clarification on
RoboForm. My initial searches revealed a few user-posted HijackThis
logs, which mentioned RoboForm. So, I advised removal. It seemed a
particularly important removal in Connie's case, because it was a
BHO, and she was suffering from a BHO error.

I've now taken a closer look at those logs, and some other spyware
sites, and can see that most of them are saying that the main
components of RoboForm (the startup file and the BHO) are safe.

(I have to say, though, I'm sceptical of Siber Systems, and would
_never_ allow a free program to have that much control over my own
personal information.)

"...I find it amusing that Siber Systems pitches RoboForm as a
replacement for the dreadful Claria a.k.a. Gator spyware product ...
then again I suspect there must be a lot of people who installed
those products and have never realized how compromised their PCs
became."
- Mark Gibbs
Network World Web Applications Newsletter, 02/28/05

Faustus