-=PCTechTalk=- Re: IE Association Error

  • From: dktrfaustus@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 18:59:06 +0100

On 27 Apr 2005 at 13:28, C.E. Cochran wrote:
> Hi - ok, this is one site that does it:
>
> http://www.getptr.com/pages/index.php?refid=northlodge

Will check it out later, Connie, pending your scan progress. (see
below)

> I visit this site a lot, and it always happens here.  Thanks for your
> advice about the spyware programs, I did not know to run them in safe
> mode.

Many people aren't aware of the need to scan in safe mode,
unfortunately. We all learn about it the hard way...

> I googled the "This window is busy" message - on some forums,
> people ran a HijackThis log.  Do you know how to read those?

Forget those logs, for now. I skimmed over them quickly, but didn't
see anything which specifically identified the cause of your "this
window is busy" problem.

Right now, you should concentrate on the following:

1. Turn off System Restore
2. Update Ad-aware and antivirus definitions (if necessary)
3. While you're online, grab a copy of CWShredder from:
4. Reboot into Safe Mode
5. Run an antivirus scan (quarantine; don't "attempt to fix")
6. Run CWShredder (scan all drives/bypass recycle bin/fix everything)
7. Run Ad-aware (all drives/don't quarantine: delete)
8. Repeat steps 4-7 (you can skip any where nothing was found)
9. Reboot, log in as your normal user; turn System Restore back on.

When nothing bad is found in Ad-aware, it's safe to look into those
spyware prevention programs I mentioned. You should also then try
some of the websites that were giving you the "browser helper
application" error, and get back to us.

> Thanks for all your help,

Of course, you're welcome.

Faustus