-=PCTechTalk=- Re: IDE2 & IDE3 Connectors on new build

  • From: "Chris Spotta" <chris@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 12:58:28 +0100

Cajun

How are things progressing now?

Regards

Chris
chris@xxxxxxxxxx
http://www.spotta.com

-----Original Message-----
From: pctechtalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:pctechtalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Don
Sent: 20 April 2005 17:02
To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: -=PCTechTalk=- Re: IDE2 & IDE3 Connectors on new build

When I started this reply I was under the impression that you had 3 IDE
channels.  One on the motherboard and two on the VT6410.  After browsing the

Gigabyte link, I suspect what you actually have is TWO IDE channels.  One on

the MoBo (IDE 0) and One on the VT 6410 (IDE 1).... each having a primary
and a secondary connector.  The floppy MAY have its own controller
connector, but I think it uses the IDE 0 secondary connector instead.  I did

not edit the message to reflect this change in thinking, just in case you
_DO_ have three channels.

Computers are wierd.  They number things from 0 not from 1.  When I think
computers, I think from 0.  So I suspect I am confused because I suspect you

are numbering your IDE controllers 1, 2 and 3 and I would number them 0, 1
and 2.   Or, if you are referring to the primary and secondary connectors as

IDE 1 and IDE2  that would be confusing also.  The manual is not readable
online so I don't know how it numbered things.

My line of thinking is sometimes twisted and perverse, but if I were buying
a RAID controller for IDE devices, I would expect the only way an IDE device

would work while connected to the RAID controller would be in a RAID
configuration.  Thus floppy drives, ZIP drives and CD-ROM drives could not
be connected to them.  And to make a hard drive work you would need TWO
harddrives connected to it.

If that turns out to be the situation, I would try this...

1.  This paragraph assumes the motherboard owns IDE0 and the VT6410 IDE
Controller owns IDE1 and IDE2.  Every IDE controller I've seen has a Primary

and a Secondary connector.  A Master and a Slave can be connected to each
one.  Thus, you should be able to connect all three devices to IDE 0.    If
the Floppy is occupying one, then slave the CD-ROM to the Floppy and then
slave the ZIP to the hard drive on the other.  I would place the harddrive
on the primary and the floppy on the secondary.  You would then have ALL 4
devices connected to IDE 0  (IDE 1if you numbered them 1-2-3).  If the
Floppy is on its own separate controller then the same idea applies.  I
would slave the Zip to the Harddrive on the primary channel and master the
CD-ROM on the secondary.   Or, if there is only a single connector on IDE0
then...

2. Buy a SATA hard drive for your boot drive and then install CD and ZIP on
IDE 0.   OR

3. Buy an EXTERNAL case for the hard drive and connect to a USB port.
Connect the ZIP and CD to IDE 0.  OR

4. Try to slave the CD drive to the floppy and the Zip to the harddrive.

Don