-=PCTechTalk=- Re: IDE2 & IDE3 Connectors on new build

  • From: "Don" <dsw32952@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 20:15:12 -0400

This sounds like you have put together a computer system with a new
multi-talented high technology motherboard and expect it to work well with
worn out, barely talented equipment built on obsolete technology.

I would suggest that you put the harddrive, CD-RW and Zip back in the
computer they came out of, sell the old computer and use the cash to buy a
SATA harddrive and a DVD+/- RW.

But, since that is probably NOT an option, we have to work with what we
have...

What has tech support and/or the user support forums at the Gigabyte website
suggested about this problem?    Ditto, the hard drive website?

Can you boot to a Boot Device Menu?  It should list several options
including CD-ROM, SATA1, SATA2 etc.  If so, what are your options?  If you
can select to boot to a specific IDE device will the BIOS recognize the
harddrive and boot?  Yes or no with the hard drive in which IDE positions?

You indicated earlier that at one point the drive was recognized and Windows
began to load but then rebooted or something.  If the hard drive was
installed in a different computer and Windows was installed on that
computer, there may be some hardware and driver conflicts.  Windows is
looking for the other computer and its associated hardware and instead is
finding stuff it knows not what to do with.   Did you try booting into safe
mode?  Did it still reboot part way through?

Is everything else properly installed/enabled/disabled?  Sounds silly, but
if the motherboard has a built in sound card or video card and you have
opted for a better quality device then the built in item(s) must be
disabled.  Sometimes using jumpers, sometimes using Setup. Sometimes both
are required.  If the OS can not determine the device to use, it might hang
or reboot.

Can you boot to a floppy or CD?  You may need to enter Setup and change Boot
sequence or enter the Boot Device Menu to select the correct device.  Once
booted to the command prompt, can you navigate to C:  (or whatever letter
the harddrive is)?

Have you confirmed the hard drive is good?  How?  Have you confirmed the OS
installed on it is good and is correctly configured for the computer?  How?

Have you tried booting to DOS and installing the drive using the software
provided with the drive (or downloaded from the website)?  Results?

Don