-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Fw: Re: Transfering data from old computer to new

  • From: The Keyboard Cowboy <KBCowboy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 22:41:22 -0400

Tina,
I'm coming in late on this and perhaps it's answered by now.  You
don't need to buy anything but a null cable.  There are two kinds of
cables......and I forget which is which but one has all wires exactly
the same on both ends, and one has two of the wires switched from one
end to the other.  In any event, the null cable is what you want to
connect two computers without a hub, etc.  Connect both computers
using a null cable and an NIC card in both.

Next you have to give your computer permission to share the data.
It's been a very long time since I've done this so I can only tell you
the "concepts".  Right click on your "C" drive in explorer, and select
properties.  In properties, select the "sharing tab and then check the
blocks that allow you to share files between computers.  Do the same
for both computers.   Next, you have to (this is where my memory gets
fuzzy) go to "my computer" and  find the other computer.  Bottom line,
you can move files back and forth between two computers quite easily
at a very low cost.  Hope this helps......sorry it's not more
explicit.

  Regards from the
"Keyboard Cowboy",
         ,,,,,,,,
         Ô¿Ô¬
   Cincinnati, Ohio
Scottsdale, Arizona
Thursday, 9/11/2003, @ 22:32:30 EST

May today be better than yesterday, but, not as good as tomorrow.