-=PCTechTalk=- Fw: Re: Transfering data from old computer to new

  • From: "Trevnal" <trev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 15:33:49 +0100

Tina,

One of the easiest ways to use a null modem cable is to use a program like
LapLink.  You may even be able to get a trial copy of their software from their
site.
http://www.travelingsoftware.com/

I am not sure if the new version allows you to connect two pc's with a Null
Modem cable, but I would have thought it would ,as they always make software
that is backwards compliant, well they used too.  It may be worth a look and
try.

Hope that helps

Trevnal

  From: phophetess

  I hope someone can help me. I have an old computer running ME and want to
  transfer some files, programs and such to the new computer running XP.

  I purchased a null modem cable and cannot get either computer to "see" a
  connection.The older computer, set as host, keeps asking me if the new
  computer, set as guest, is turned on! lol The new computer isn't saying
  anything, just keeps looking.

  I tried setting up a direct link and then tired using the file and settings
  transfer wizard under XP, but neither way is working.
  If anyone knows how to do this, please email me and let me know.
  By the way, both do have USB ports and someone suggested going that route or
  going with a parrallel port cable. I know even less about these options!
  Thanks,
  Tina