-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Fax info?

  • From: "GMan" <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 May 2007 21:20:49 -0400

Treat the fax machine the same way you'd treat a regular phone (the phone
company will do the same, so there's no extra charge).  Fax machines do
their thing using the standard analog phone frequency and do not require any
sort of internal 'modem'.

This means you'll need one of those DSL filters on the line you use for the
fax, assuming it's on the same phone number as your DSL, of course.  Yes, a
splitter will work, but the fax will still need a filter between it and the
wall.  If the other side of the splitter goes to your PC, place the filter
after the splitter, but before the fax machine.  If the other side of the
splitter goes to another phone device, place the filter before the splitter,
if possible.  In that way, one filter will protect both devices.

Peace,
GMan