-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Epson 640 Printer

  • From: "~OoO~" <SirTroth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 13:47:59 -0400

If you're getting an "out of paper" error due to a defective printer, neither
the new drivers nor the old drivers will help. The printer would simply have to
be repaired or pretty much laid to rest.
While many times with drivers you want to stick to the "don't fix it if it
ain't broken" motto, printers are a bit different. In this case, since you have
to reinstall the drivers anyway, you might as well get new ones that might fix
any issues if it has to do with compatability. Of course, you can still use the
included old drivers if that's what you prefer, what I think the new drivers
would do you best for your situation.

Regarding why the new printer is listed in ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS and not the old
printer... you're probably seeing the included printer application software (as
opposed to drivers) listed there. When you installed the new printer, if you
also installed any included software it would be listed in ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS.
With that said, this doesn't mean drivers won't show up in the ADD/REMOVE
PROGRAMS. Whoever makes the drivers or any software usually set it up so it
adds an uninstall entry into the ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS. So, if the manufacturer
sets it up that way, then yes you can have drivers listed in the ADD/REMOVE
PROGRAMS. Going with this knowledge, yes its possible that what you're seeing
IS the new printer's drivers, but could more likely be the software. However,
in general, when removing or adding a printer, you wouldn't do it from the
ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS. It would be done from the MY COMPUTER > PRINTERS.

---Troth