-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Computer Down HELP

  • From: "GuitarMan" <PCTech@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 13:48:01 -0400

Rocky,
    Do you have a hard drive running an OS other than WinXP that you could
try in the main system?  WinXP's Activation feature/bug can see if it's
being run on the wrong computer (it looks for certain hardware devices and
will only tolerate so many changes before it disables the OS).  This could
seriously affect its ability to bootup on a different system.  A hard drive
running a different OS would eliminate this possibility.  This same line of
thinking could be affecting the original hard drive's ability to boot up on
another PC as well.

    I realize that none of this would affect your ability to get to the
BIOS.  I'm just trying to eliminate possibilities and narrow down the
search.

Peace,
G Man

PCTechTalk Owner