-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Computer Down HELP

  • From: "GuitarMan" <PCTech@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 15:26:09 -0400

Hi Rocky,
    The power supply of 11.92v is still within the range that mobos require.
In other words, none of the voltages has to be (or should be expected to be)
exact unless we're talking about a very expensive (military spec) power
supply unit.  Consumer products all give leeway on power requirements.

    As for the dust color, I tend to find the same shadings.  The hotter the
devices run, the more dust cooks and the darker that dust will be.  And if
that much dust has gathered after only 3 months, you might want to consider
going to a hardware store and purchasing some air conditioner filter
material, cutting it to size and using it to filter the incoming air ducts.
This will allow you to not worry about so much dust buildup.  You'll still
need to open the case & clean out the filters (wash them with dish soap and
water, then let them air dry or use a blow dryer) on a schedule based on the
amount of contaminants in the air in your house, but it's a LOT easier than
cleaning out every component in the case.         :O)

    The symptoms you're describing sound more like a virus or heat problem
than a power discrepancy problem.  The first thing I would do is to allow
the puter to cool down completely (give it at least ) and then try booting
up.  If it responds better than before, the above paragraph just became even
more important.  You might then also want to invest in some better case fans
to keep the inside cooler.  There are plenty of other steps you can take to
cool down a case such as installing rounded IDE cables (MUCH better than the
old flat ribbon cables), using plastic wire ties & such to keep the internal
wiring out of the path of the airflow, making sure the fans are wired
properly to pull/push air in the proper directions, etc..  Any one of these
can help solve overheating problems, but all of them put together can give
your system a much longer, and less worrisome, useful life.

    Please keep us informed of your progress and let us know if this sparks
more thoughts on this situation.            8^)

Peace,
G Man

PCTechTalk Owner