-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Computer Down HELP

  • From: Glen <glbbrown@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 12:03:21 -0700 (PDT)

Rocky,
It sounds like either power supply, motherboard, or
your CPU.

Try Removing all your cards except video. This
includes memory, modems, ethernet. so on and so forth.
Disconnect all hard drives, CD-Roms, floppy drives,
zip drives and anything else that would draw power.
This includes all USB devices.

With your video still connected try to boot. If you
get to the bios screen, then it is something else.

What does the inside  of your computer smell like?

Those voltage readings from the power supply, are they
read after removing all other devices from the power
supply? Other words Power supply should not be hooked
up to anything.

Still nothing? Then remove your processor and inspect
it. It may have been overheating.
Did you put this computer together yourself? Heat sink
and thermal paste are mandatory.

If it is just the chip then you should be able to
replace it.

I don't know where else to say. I am not familiar with
P4 chips, mobos, and power supplies.

Glen

http://web.sccoast.net/users/rockyfit/WebPageLinks.htm