-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Computer Down HELP

  • From: "Rocky Fithian " <rockyfit@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2002 20:08:54 -0400

OK, Glen and GuitarMan here is what I have done.  I cleaned out
everything.  I disconnected the HDDs and Roms and checked the
voltages that I had listed and there is no change.  Guess they are
OK.  I took the hard drive out of the main machine and tried it in
another XP machine as master and it booted part way and stopped.
I took a known good master XP os hard drive and put it in the main
machine and it would not boot at all.  Don't even get the bios to
show.  It will not boot to a floppy or CD and I have them listed to
boot first and C as last choice.  I did all this switching of drives after
it was cool so heat don't seem the be the causing the problem.  I
built this myself and the CPU has a big fan and heatsink on it and it
was set with heatsink grease.  The CPU was bought as a unit with
fan and heatsink.  I have not pulled it up as yet.  From what you
guys have said it looks like it may be the CPU or the Mobo only
because it will not boot a known good hard drive and the drive is
the one I using right not to write this message.  What does that
make you think?
Rocky

From:                   "GuitarMan" <PCTech@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To:                     <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject:                -=PCTechTalk=- Re: Computer Down HELP
Date sent:              Fri, 4 Oct 2002 15:26:09 -0400
Send reply to:          pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

> Hi Rocky,
>     The power supply of 11.92v is still within the range that mobos
>     require.
> In other words, none of the voltages has to be (or should be expected
> to be) exact unless we're talking about a very expensive (military
> spec) power supply unit.  Consumer products all give leeway on power
> requirements.
>
>     As for the dust color, I tend to find the same shadings.  The
>     hotter the
> devices run, the more dust cooks and the darker that dust will be.
> And if that much dust has gathered after only 3 months, you might want
> to consider going to a hardware store and purchasing some air
> conditioner filter material, cutting it to size and using it to filter
> the incoming air ducts. This will allow you to not worry about so much
> dust buildup.  You'll still need to open the case & clean out the
> filters (wash them with dish soap and water, then let them air dry or
> use a blow dryer) on a schedule based on the amount of contaminants in
> the air in your house, but it's a LOT easier than cleaning out every
> component in the case.         :O)
>
>     The symptoms you're describing sound more like a virus or heat
>     problem
> than a power discrepancy problem.  The first thing I would do is to
> allow the puter to cool down completely (give it at least ) and then
> try booting up.  If it responds better than before, the above
> paragraph just became even more important.  You might then also want
> to invest in some better case fans to keep the inside cooler.  There
> are plenty of other steps you can take to cool down a case such as
> installing rounded IDE cables (MUCH better than the old flat ribbon
> cables), using plastic wire ties & such to keep the internal wiring
> out of the path of the airflow, making sure the fans are wired
> properly to pull/push air in the proper directions, etc..  Any one of
> these can help solve overheating problems, but all of them put
> together can give your system a much longer, and less worrisome,
> useful life.
>
>     Please keep us informed of your progress and let us know if this
>     sparks
> more thoughts on this situation.            8^)
>
> Peace,
> G Man
>
> PCTechTalk Owner

Rocky Fithian