-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Burning question--Lil

  • From: GuitarMan <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 00:54:01 -0400

Sammi,
    It certainly will, but I'd love to hear from Troth if it'll alllow you
to use it for things other than backups.

    I neglected to include the page I brought up to get some idea of prices
for external drives.  That's corrected below.  In addition, you also have
the choice of combining a normal hard drive with an external enclosure as I
brought up before.  I spent $30 for my USB & $40 for my eSATA/USB enclosures
and I have no regrets at all.  Just make sure you match the internal form
factor of the enclosure with the drive you buy for it (IDE or SATA).  If you
choose to go this route, I'm partial to Seagate drives mainly for the 5 year
warantee.     :O)

Complete externals (500GB):
http://tinyurl.com/4nb6s8

Hard drives (500GB, both types):
http://tinyurl.com/63jmak

Empty Enclosures (ALL types):
http://tinyurl.com/5bkcwx

    You'll have some decisions to make on that last link since there are so
many options.  The variations can be a bit daunting until you start removing
those that won't suit your needs.  Internally, I'd go with either the 'SATA
& IDE' or the 'SATA only' option since IDE will eventually be phased out.
Obviously the SATA & IDE combo gives the most flexibility, but I haven't
looked at how that might affect price.  You might want to consider going
with one that supports connecting to a computer using with both USB AND
eSATA (although not at the same time) since you may be able to use the eSATA
connection with your next computer system.

    Now, that the hard drive sale that Troth just tossed out has me in a
buying mood, I'm getting a few things at ZZF, including that drive.     lol

Peace,
Gman