-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Burning question--Lil

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 May 2008 17:31:47 -0400

Two things, Sammi.

First, CD blank media does not last as 'lifetime' as the earliest marketing
of that medium reported.  The 'pressed' ones (retail CDs & DVDs) last a long
time, but the ones we burn ourselves are burned onto a different type of
film (it's typically a metal foil sandwiched between two clear layers).  The
'pressed' ones also use actual hills and valleys created by the pressing,
where ours are nowhere near as deep or tall (burning only melts the foil and
it can only move so much as a result).  Consequently, writable disks (CD-R,
DVD-R, DVD+R) should only be trusted for several years before being replaced
(copy the contents back to the drive and re-burn them onto a new disk).  All
Re-writables were never meant for long term storage and shouldn't be trusted
for more than a year.

Since you have found a disk that used to be good but is now showing as
blank, you may want to try running a recovery utility on it to see if any of
it can be recovered.  Unfortunately, I have never tried any of these, so I
don't have a specific app to recommend.  Still, here are some you might want
to consider.  Just keep in mind that it's an old list.       :O)

CDCheck
CD Data Rescue
CD-R Diagnostic

The second thing I wanted to mention is that the price of hard drives,
including externals, has really dropped a lot recently so it may be more
affordable than you're thinking.  I tend to do the math to determine the
size that's cheapest in $/GB (cost per GB) and the sweet spot is still the
500GB models.  I'm about to order my second 500GB drive which will cost me
about $90 US.  Depending on your space needs, you could go with something
much smaller than that for less.  The external models tend to go for about
$10 more, so you'd be getting a $20 enclosure for half price.  Just make
sure it uses the best connection method your system can handle (eSATA runs
at the same speed as an internal but still rare on systems, Firewire is next
and not quite as rare, USB 2.0 works fine for most systems and USB 1.x is
way back in last place and almost too slow for regular use).  If you know
your specific needs/wants, let us know and we'll locate you some good
prices.

"The only dumb questions are the ones we fail to ask!"