-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Blocked Sender

  • From: "~OoO~" <SirTroth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 10:39:08 -0400

If the block is with your email client, such as OE, the sender gets NO notice
or message. He simply thinks it got through. And, in essence, it DID get
through, just that your filter moved it to the TRASH. If an email client has
the option to BOUNCE the mail, then the sender will get a notice. Now, since
BOUNCES can be faked, the BOUNCE option won't necessarily help you with SPAM. A
proper bounce sends a notice to the ISP postmaster stating that the mail is
undeliverable, and the reason. The postmaster than forwards to the sender. With
SPAM, these bounces go nowhere, since the mail usually has a bogus return
anyway.
If you have mail coming from someone that's a real person, then bouncing is
good. They'll get the message, read it, and hopefully leave you alone. For
SPAM, I wouldn't respond, as doing so tells them your email address is a valid
hit. For the SPAM filters that have a good BOUNCE feature, its questionable
whether or not it deters SPAMmers from keeping your addy on their list.

---Troth