-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Attn Don: " Curse`s foiled again by Ubuntu "

  • From: GuitarMan <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 21:46:47 -0400

I just realized that I forgot to include the fact that the magnet trick
won't work the way you would expect.  If may be successful at scrambling
'some' of the 1's & 0's on the drive, but it won't get them all.  Hard
drives are shielded units that contain several round magnetic coated
platters that can hold data on both sides.  You're likely to scramble some
of the top half of the top platter, but I doubt it'll get through the
drive's shielding enough to do any more damage than that.  The result could
easily be a confused drive that will no longer allow formatting (in other
words, an expensive paperweight).