-=PCTechTalk=- Attn Don: " Curse`s foiled again by Ubuntu "

  • From: <mytoybox1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 14:52:34 -0500

RE:
My input regarding the effects of formatting was made because you were
asking how to get rid of Ubuntu so you could install windows.  Formatting
the drive will get rid of Ubuntu.
Don
Thank`s for the information .

I have now found the reason that all of my install attempt`s of Windows,
Linspire, Acronis, Partition Magic, the restore floppy which GMan showed me how
to get to return the hard drive to it`s origional condition ... which was a
blank hard drive .

I am locked out of the " C " drive in Ubuntu . When I try to use the " sudo
bash " command to gain root ... it ask`s me for my password ... when I enter
the password Ubuntu insert`s a space in the middle of it .

Result ... the password it refused ( frown ) .

Sooo ... I went to " Computer " and the " C " drive icon is not present (
phooie ) .

I also found that the partition is still in place and is over 35 gigabyte`s in
size ... which is as it should be ( a small step for Teri ) .

Sooo ... this leave`s me with 2 choice`s as I see it ... throw away the hard
drive and buy a new one ... or, go to the hardware store and buy a good sized
magnet and pass it over the hard drive several time`s ... after I take it out
of the P C of course .

As I understand it ... the magnet will re-arrange the magnatized particle`s and
put then in a disaray .

Then I can reinstall the hard drive in the P C and use the hard drive drive
recovery floppy file that GMan found for me ( hopefully ) .

B/t/w ... thank`s GMan for the bird dogging for the file that I needed ( big
smile ) .

And of course my thank`s to all of the member`s who offered help and
suggestion`s about my problem . It`s great to have on-line friend`s .

If my thinking is flawed about the magnet passed over the hard drive is flawed
( raised eyebrow`s ) ... please let me know .

I thought I was pretty good with a P C and it`s quirk`s untill this happened (
the Ubuntu incident ) ... but I have found that there is so much more that I
need to know in order to command and control this large accumulation of metal
and plastic with a TV tube attached to it ( pout ) .

Even though all this has happened I still believe in the Linux system`s ... I
am thinking of all this hubbub to be a learning experience to pass on to
other`s in the future ....I find Linux to be compact, intuitive, and very slick
in it`s overall structure .

Oooh well ... onward and upward .

Talk atcha later,

Teri Lee