-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Apple Software Update

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 16:54:36 -0500

At this point, I should probably never suggest following one of these
pop-ups ever again.  There are just too many nasties floating around
disguised as legitimate update notices.

Instead, make note of what program wants to be updated and then go to that
app's maker to see if an update truly is available.  You can also read up on
what changes were made and have a better idea of whether or not you should
consider the update for your system.  If it's security related, create a
restore point and then allow it to update.  If it's just cosmetic
'improvements' and you don't see them as necessary, ignore it.  If the site
shows that no update is available or that you already have the latest, give
yourself a real wide smile knowing that you just saved yourself a HUGE
headache by checking out the update notice the right way.      :)

Peace,
Gman