-=PCTechTalk=- Re: AOL basics?

  • From: Foxhillers@xxxxxxx
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 20:31:40 EDT

In a message dated 9/24/03 7:25:13 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
anitra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> A friend of mine uses AOL. As we looked at her computer I
> found that she has had Norton AV running since three years
> without an update. I saw the McAffee name on a page; does
> AOL have their own fool- and bomb-proof protection? (First
> time I've met an AOL user, and we only had a few minutes..)
>
> Is AOL just an ISP/browser package? Only good I've heard
> about it is that you can hang the CD:s on your fruit trees to
> keep the birds away - I thought that was cute ;) What makes
> it different? And above all, does AOL (9) have built-in auto
> protection?
>
> TIA, Anitra in Pioneertown.com

I've had AOL (as well as several other ISPs) for many years and am satisfied
with it.  I suggest you logon to http://www.AOL.com and check out the features
offered with the AOL version your friend uses.

I've had my own McAfee account for years.  Many feel it is the better option
for AOL.  I keep my AV upto date.

I've had none of the problems that folks who insist on using Outlook have,
except, of course, when my address just happens to be in an Outlook user's
address book which has gooten snatched.

Maybe the new AOL 9.0 comes bundled with McAfee's..... I'm still using v 6.0

MJH