-=PCTechTalk=- Re: A free Unzipper??

  • From: Keyboard Cowboy <KBCowboy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 09:23:01 -0400

I got upset with WinZip a couple of years ago.  Their price is expensive and
then they seemed to have a "major revision" about every year - and the major
revision costs money!  Lots of money!   Bottom line, I didn't believe it was
worth the investment even though I'd been with them since they started.
I did a pretty comprehensive evaluation to determine what zip program to use.
It's been a while ago but two that come to mind were 7Zip and IZArc.   Of those
two, I used IZArc for a while and was quite happy with it.   You can them here:

http://www.izarc.org/

http://www.7-zip.org/

Then I discovered PowerArchiver.  You can find it here:

http://www.powerarchiver.com/

It is not free, but I think it is a far better GUI and more powerful program
than WinZip.   It was developed, I think, by one of the guys who developed
7Zip.
The price is in line with other commercial zip programs and it has free
lifetime
updates.  I have been very happy with it so far.  If you try it, remember that
you can select the type of GUI you use.  it can be simple like the old
"classic"
WinZip interface, or modernized like a Windows interface.

 Regards,

 Bob -- the "Keyboard Cowboy"
            ,,,,,,,,
           Õ¿Õ¬
 -----------<========<<0++0>>========>-----------
                 Cincinnati, OH -- Scottsdale, AZ
                          NRA Life Member
               Photos at   http://foxyurl.com/25E
 -----------<========<<0++0>>========>-----------
 I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.

 -- Confucius (Chinese Philosopher) 551-479 B.C.

   -----------<========<<0++0>>========>-----------

On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 16:43:04 +1200, R. M. B. White wrote:

|  Having just updated Winzip, I have been told I can only use the
|  Evaluation edition for 45 days before I have to BUY it !
|
|  Can anyone recommend a FREE Zip/Unzip programme??.......please
|
|  Roger W
|
|  To access our Archives:
|  //www.freelists.org/archives/pctechtalk/
|
|  To contact only the PCTT Mod Squad, write to:
|  pctechtalk-moderators@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
|
|  To join our separate PCTableTalk off-topic group, send a blank
|  email to: pctabletalk+subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
in the Subject.