-=PCTechTalk=- Re: 3GB or 3.5GB of memory--which is best?

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 17:01:17 -0400

Rudy,
    Dell said that the sticks need to be in pairs because your mainboard
supports dual-channel memory.  In dual-channel mode, the system can treat
each stick like it's own island by dedicating one to one set of processes
and the other stick to other processes.  The result is a much more
functional memory control setup that works rather well in multi-core CPU
systems.  It also works without multi-core CPU's but is more limited by the
number of threads that can be running at the same time.

    If you have two slots filled with a matched pair of sticks or four slots
fitted with 2 pairs of matched sticks, the mainboard will recognize this and
run them in dual-channel mode.  If you pull one of the sticks in EITHER of
these configurations, it will still work (no damage would occur) but the
entire system will have no choice but to revert back to single channel mode
for ALL of the sticks and you'll lose that extra functionality.  I'll also
point out that the 4GB max RAM you've read about is only MS marketing.  In
the real world, XP will only recognize up to 3.12GB (exact amount may be off
a bit) of RAM before it starts choking on it.  That may or may not improve
once the official release of SP3 becomes available tomorrow (I have no idea
if this issue is being addressed by the update, although I doubt it).

    As a result, my advice is to go with the 3GB of RAM that will keep it
operating in dual-channel mode.

http://www.naturalnews.com/023033.html

"The only dumb questions are the ones we fail to ask!"