-=PCTechTalk=- Re: 2 two line phones (was What is ISP?)

  • From: "GMan" <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 22:57:53 -0400

HB,
    This is a technical question, so I don't see any need for you to take it
offline.  It sounds like the situation could teach some interested members
about phone/Vonage systems, too.

    The only thing I have to contribute at this time (I've never had Vonage
or any other internet phone service, but I do all of my own phone, cable &
ethernet home wiring) is that 4 wire phone cords are designed to carry two
separate phone line signals over short distances (length degrades the
signals).  However, if you plug one into a source that only outputs a single
line, that's all the cord will carry.  If you (or someone else) were to
splice one end of it into two separate plugs, it would allow you to use that
single cable to carry both signals to the destination.  However, 4 wire
cables are not sufficient for carrying a signal or two from one building to
another (more on this below).  In fact, even the phone company no longer
uses 2 or 4 wire cabling when installing new lines.

    You also mentioned that the one phone has both as 4 wire and a 2 wire
jack.  In most cases, the 4 wire jack is wired internally for two signals
coming into the phone from a single 4 wire cable.  So, if both phone lines
could be combined into a single 4 wire cable before reaching the phone, the
second jack would not be need to be filled.  The phone would read both
incoming lines from that one 4 wire cable.

    So, the trick is to send the two signals from the one building to the
other without experiencing too much signal degradation or picking up too
much external noise along the way.  The solution is to use UTP (Unshielded
Twisted Pair) cabling instead.  This type of cable contains 1, 2, 3 or 4
pairs of wires with each color coded pair twisted together to help prevent
noise from being intriduced to the signals that travel through them.  Common
industry codes for these cables include CAT-3, CAT-4, CAT-5 and CAT-5e (my
personal preference for all of my phone & ethernet needs).  Using these
types of cables (instead of the old standard 4-wire cable used in those
short cords) will allow for much longer runs and will not introduce
crosstalk (signal bleeding) between the different lines running
simultaneously through the cable. (From your comments, I get the feeling you
already understand some of this part)

    If any of this sounds like something you might need to consider as you
construct the system, let me know and I'll supply you with ideas for
starting the lines out as single RJ-11 jacks, routing them through a single
UTP cable to the other building and then outputting them in whatever way
best suits the destination, whether it's a separate exterior demarcation box
(what the phone company usually uses for more than one line), a punch-down
distribution block (similar to a demarc, but designed for interior use) or
simply the phone that can handle two lines.

Peace,
GMan