-=PCTechTalk=- 2 two line phones (was What is ISP?)

  • From: HandsomeBlck@xxxxxxx
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 08:12:10 EDT

In a message dated 5/8/2007 3:26:11 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
DeaconDeamon@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
> HB.
> I don't know why you cannot do this. If you are coming out of your vonage
> router to the line splitter, then a line to each of the phones from the
> splitter it should work.
> Also this would have nothing to do with your ISP.
> I'm assuming you want the same number in both rooms.
> The first thing I would do is check both sides of the splitter AT the
> splitter.  Make sure they both work,  Next I would check the phone line.
> Maybe
> even pick up another one.
> Another option would be to pick up a cord less phone that has 2 hand units
> with 1 base unit and 1 charger.  Used this for a time at my sisters place.
> Did you have the phone split at your old place?  I know you can split the
> line as I did that when I first got my tivo, while waiting for the router to
> come in.
> Steve

First, if the mods feel I should take this offline, I understand and will.

Steve,
     At our old place, we had vonage, with 1 two line phone and 3 cordless
phones. All worked fine.
     At our new place, my wife's office is in another building, too far for
the cordless phones to work. Also, she wants a base unit with speaker phone
function in her office.
     Currently, the set up here is as the last place. No problems with either
phone hooked up alone. To address her desires, I figured I would just put two
splitters coming out of the router - one each for line 1 and line 2. Then run
phone lines from each splitter to each 2 two line phone.
     Both phones are panasonic and come with two phone lines. Line 1 phone
line is a 4 contact wire, and line 2 is a 2 contact wire. My problem seems to
be
in the 2 contact wire side. It seems that I need another 2 contact wire to
finish setting up my test template (router to splitter). And 2 contact wire is
not something stocked on the shelf. After the template is working right, then I
will run the wires under the house and out to her office.
     So, I'm kind of in the brainstorming mode. One, is to ask vonage - their
questionnaire also asks for make and model of phones being used. Two is to
get CAT3 wire (I think this is phone line quality) and make a 2 contact wire
(router to splitter).
     It makes sense that the latter set up ought to work (for line 2), using
only 2 contact wire from router to splitter, and splitter to the phone. I
would think that if 4 contact wire could be used in line 2, then panasonic
would
have supplied it instead of a 2 contact wire. At the same time, it's kind of
strange that a 4 contact wire wouldn't work since line 2 only uses two of the
four available wires. I dunno. Hope my thinking/troubleshooting was easy to
follow.

Thanks for allowing me to put my thoughts to paper,

HB

 See what's free at
http://www.aol.com.