-=PCTechTalk=- Fonts Tutorial

  • From: GMan <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 21:27:19 -0400

Sandi,
    If you can tell me the name of the font you're after, I more than likely
have it among my collection.  As long as it's in the Public Domain
(copywrited as free for anyone's use), I'd be more than happy to send it to
ya.

For anyone interested,
    As a font collector and a long-time member of Glenn's font collecting
group (shameless plug for one of our own long-time members   lol), I have
tens of thousands of the buggers stashed away on my hard drive.  They're in
a folder that is not a part of my Windows installation, but I have no
problem using any of them whenever I feel the need.

    Simply put, Windows loads up all of the fonts in its special Fonts
folder everytime you boot up your system.  By loading them, I mean it copies
them into RAM to make them available to whatever programs need them.  That
also means that the RAM they occupy is now off limits for use by any other
process for the entire duration of your computing session.  You might as
well say that this RAM doesn't even exist for the rest of your system since
it will never be available as long as all of those fonts are present in the
Windows Fonts folder.

    In order to use a font that is not part of that collection, just double
click on it to open it and minimize the resulting window.  Opening anything
will load it into RAM, so the font will be just as available as the ones in
Windows special folder.  When you're done with it, save & close the project
you created and then close the font you were using (the minimized one).  You
can even open up multiple fonts and use them all as part of whatever project
you're doing.

    The downside is that the font will no longer be available once the
minimized window has been closed.  This means opening up that project
without first opening up the fonts you used will result in some temporary
substitutions being used.  For this reason, I suggest MOVING all but the
original fonts from the font folder and storing them in a separate location
(preferably on a different partition, drive or external medium).  This will
immediately help speed up your system by giving it back that wasted RAM for
other tasks.  Then, go through the secondary location and choose which
additional fonts you tend to use a lot.  COPY them back into the Windows
Fonts folder so they'll always be available (and be able to view your
projects the way they were intended to be seen).  Doing it in this order
will guarantee you that you have a copy of your most used extra fonts
somewhere other than the Windows Fonts folder.  This becomes very important
if your instalation of Windows ever goes bad and you're forced to format
your C: drive in order to reinstall.

    I hope at least some of this helps in dealing with these wonderful, but
resource hogging beasts.          :O)

Peace,
GMan