-=PCTechTalk=- Dvd writers I just bought one...info....

  • From: <TechRose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 00:03:39 -0700

I just thought I would let you know that Sony has a newer model of the DVD +
&- R / DVD + & - RW as well as cd-r-rw.

The original model was a 500 and the new one is a 510.  The differences
according to the guy in the store was that the 510 has some of the bugs
worked out.

I purchased 500 a few months ago and when installing the software, it said
there were some issues (I cannot remember what) that Microsoft was working
on for XP.  Well hell, why would I pay nearly $400 for a product that needed
some 'issues' taken care of.  So I took it back to the store the next day.

I purchased a 510 this past week and also purchased DVD X which is the ONLY
(at this time) legal software for copying DVD's.
First try on a DVD copy was flawless.  (There is other software, including
freeware that copies, but it does not do as good a job and it does not make
a legal copy of the DVD)

You put in the DVD you want to copy..the DVD X software asks if this is a
rental or loaner DVD.  If you say YES, it will not copy the DVD and tells
you it is not legal to do so.  If you say NO, it will copy the entire DVD.
This includes all the extra stuff, special features and the copyright for
it.  (I got the DVD X Software on sale for $39....reg $99)  (The reason I
know that is does this..is just for fun, I said it was a rental and I got
that response.  When I went back in and said it was not a rental and I owned
the DVD, it copied it completely.)

The funny thing about this purchase is I went to buy the Que DVD burner for
$199 on sale.  Then I saw the Sony with a new 510a model number and checked
it out.  I think it was $239 on sale.  That is a lot cheaper than the
500A which was also on the shelf for $60 MORE!  I bought this at Fry's.  So
be careful if you are buying a DVD burner... make sure you have the latest
model.  I chose the Sony as it does both - & + formats.  Since there are
both formats at there, I did not want to end up buying a Beta type machine
and end up that VHS becomes the new standard.  This way I am covered both
ways.  It is like buying a Beta/VHS machine.  It is worth the extra money.
Besides, the Sony came with excellent software too!  It was much better than
what the Que had included.

By the way, it copies the DVD to your hard drive and then burns it.  The
whole process took about 40 minutes.  Incredible!

I am thrilled about getting this for a number of reasons.  When we take
trips, we can take copies of our favorite DVD's with us and not worry about
them getting damaged during travel, lost, broken or ruined by weather
conditions, etc.  Also, I can now have a copy of my favorite movies in the
bedroom and not have to go out to the living room to get the original.
Besides copying our DVD's, my other half is also going to copy our VCR tapes
to DVD.  This is good for us too.  When the grandkids  come over and want to
watch The Little Mermaid for the 500th time, I will not worry about the tape
going bad or them ruining the DVD!

So many vans and stuff have DVD players in them now.  This is a perfect use
of copies of DVD's you own.

Also, think about backing up 4.7 GB of data on one disc!  Now that is a lot
of data!

My other half has scanned and put my family pictures on my computer.Now, I
am going to make photo albums for my sons, and their families.  I will put
all on one son's pics in one album and the other son in another one.  Then
one album with them together.  Then one with Mom & Dad and them,  Then one
each with their own  families, then one of each grand child and one with all
the grandchildren.  Yes all the pics will be repeated in the albums but
think of being able to see them in context.  I will also do one album with
them in chronological order.

I am in the process of developing the coding for the pics..so they can be
sorted for each album.  Once the coding is determined then and the coding of
the individual pictures is done. The building the albums will be easy.  Then
the next step is to put a caption with date time place and subject as well
if this is a special event.

If anyone has any clues as to how they may have done this... let me know.
This project, needless to say will take a very long time as I plan to also
take the photos into PSP and edit them for color and crop them and maybe add
frames, etc.  This is a very complex project, but I think it will be a
legacy for my family.

I will also include pics of the other relatives with names, dates,
relationship and such.  Sort of a graphical family tree.  Then, they can see
we really did evolve from apes... well almost...evolve that is...ha ha!

So, if you are in the market for a DVD Burner, my personal recommendation is
the Sony 510A.  There is also an external version, but it was about $75
more.  We are considering buying a case for $40 and making this one external
so either of us  could use it on our PC.

Have fun,

Hugs,
Rose
Las Vegas