-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Dvd writers I just bought one...info....

  • From: "Barnstoneworth" <barneystorm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 12:53:56 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: <TechRose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
.

> I purchased a 510 this past week and also purchased DVD X which is the
ONLY
> (at this time) legal software for copying DVD's.
> First try on a DVD copy was flawless.  (There is other software, including
> freeware that copies, but it does not do as good a job and it does not
make
> a legal copy of the DVD)
>
> You put in the DVD you want to copy..the DVD X software asks if this is a
> rental or loaner DVD.  If you say YES, it will not copy the DVD and tells
> you it is not legal to do so.  If you say NO, it will copy the entire DVD.
> This includes all the extra stuff, special features and the copyright for
> it.  (I got the DVD X Software on sale for $39....reg $99)  (The reason I
> know that is does this..is just for fun, I said it was a rental and I got
> that response.  When I went back in and said it was not a rental and I
owned
> the DVD, it copied it completely.)

A couple of points...it's NOT the only 'Legal' software for doing this,
there are lots of other DVD copying programs out there which have just as
much legitimacy-if you want an example, CloneDVD.  DVD X just throws these
warnings about unlicensed copying.

Also, I have DVDXCopy Express  and this  only copies the main feature and
one audio track. It's good, and it works ok, but my own preference is DVD
Shrink...this gives you the options of what you want to keep and what you
want to discard to get it under the 4.7gb limit. It doesn't burn, but it
does create a disc image you can use in most burning programs.

Cheers

Andy