-=PCTechTalk=- Dana's Dell

  • From: "Don Wilcox" <Dwilcox3@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 05:52:40 -0400

Dana,

Do you have access to another computer or will you need to use the Dell to
read and reply to email?

When we get ready to start this project, you should:

1. Have a comfortable workspace.  This will be frustrating enough for a
novice so try to avoid cluttered, uncomfortable or inconvenient work space.

2.  Have all of the disks and instruction manuals that came with your
computer available.

3.  If possible, download or purchase and have available to install any
computer security software you will use on the computer.  At a minimum have
an anti-virus tool such as Avast or AVG (free download) or purchase Trend
Micro, Norton or McAfee.  The Norton that came on your computer is probably
a TRIAL version and will expire after 90 days.  I suggest Trend Micro
Internet Security Suite 2007.  Others in the group will suggest other
products.  Take your choice.

4.  If possible, have a friend, husband or teenager that is more experienced
with computers to sit beside you and provide moral support and perhaps some
technical assistance understanding what I tell you.

5.  If possible, be in a good mood with your sense of humor in good
operating condition.

6.  Be aware:  I have done this on my Dells several times, but it has been a
while.  I will have my disks available and will refer to them, but things
might be a little different on your Dell and disks.  Minor differences in
file or folder names, location of tabs, buttons or links and similar
differences will have to be allowed for.

7.  You will need the product key for Windows Vista.  It looks something
like: FG5TY-RE67J-VE93S-WDK9U-GTTY7.  It should be on a label somewhere on
your computer case or on the evelope your disk is in or on the booklet that
came with the Windows disk.

Don