-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Dana's Dell

  • From: Dana Johnson <tigergurl49@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 16:27:12 -0700 (PDT)

--- Don Wilcox <Dwilcox3@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Dana,
>
> Do you have access to another computer or will you
> need to use the Dell to
> read and reply to email?
>
> When we get ready to start this project, you should:
>
> 1. Have a comfortable workspace.  This will be
> frustrating enough for a
> novice so try to avoid cluttered, uncomfortable or
> inconvenient work space.
>
> 2.  Have all of the disks and instruction manuals
> that came with your
> computer available.
>
> 3.  If possible, download or purchase and have
> available to install any
> computer security software you will use on the
> computer.  At a minimum have
> an anti-virus tool such as Avast or AVG (free
> download) or purchase Trend
> Micro, Norton or McAfee.  The Norton that came on
> your computer is probably
> a TRIAL version and will expire after 90 days.  I
> suggest Trend Micro
> Internet Security Suite 2007.  Others in the group
> will suggest other
> products.  Take your choice.
>
> 4.  If possible, have a friend, husband or teenager
> that is more experienced
> with computers to sit beside you and provide moral
> support and perhaps some
> technical assistance understanding what I tell you.
>
> 5.  If possible, be in a good mood with your sense
> of humor in good
> operating condition.
>
> 6.  Be aware:  I have done this on my Dells several
> times, but it has been a
> while.  I will have my disks available and will
> refer to them, but things
> might be a little different on your Dell and disks.
> Minor differences in
> file or folder names, location of tabs, buttons or
> links and similar
> differences will have to be allowed for.
>
> 7.  You will need the product key for Windows Vista.
>  It looks something
> like: FG5TY-RE67J-VE93S-WDK9U-GTTY7.  It should be
> on a label somewhere on
> your computer case or on the evelope your disk is in
> or on the booklet that
> came with the Windows disk.
>

> Don
>
> --

> Hey Don
  This is the only computer that I have access to for
email.
  Yes I have all my disks that came with the computer.
I have a year left on my Norton subscription and I
have the disk to install it.My computer is no longer
under warranty it went out in April.And I don't have
tech support anymore.
  I won't have the time to work on this until the
weekend since I work 9 hrs. a day and it is late when
I get home.
  Keep in mind that I know nothing about working on
clearing hard drives. I don't even understand what you
are talking about when you say "partitions."
 If you can tell me step by step what to do I have a
friend across the street that can help me.
  Looking forward to hearing from you.

                               Dana