[pchelpers] Re: max connections

  • From: GTCox <georgetcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2006 09:39:06 -0400

PcCowboy wrote:
> GTCox wrote:
>
>> PC,
>> I strongly suggest that you check out this page about wireless security.
>> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/support/wireless_secure.htm
>>

> All good points.
> But my home network isn't wireless. I mean I do not have a wireless
> router that is transmitting.

This shows how little I know about wireless technology. I thought one
had to have a wireless router to have a wireless network.
> The tower access point does not broadcast a SSID, ( which is really fun
> when I can't remember the name)

 From what I read, this is really good.
> I can only connect to the tower because their system has my MAC ID. And
> when I send, it is
> only point to point.

I'm not understanding what a tower is.
> As far as using WPA, I don't know, what if I set mine and the tower
> doesn't use it?

If you try to use WPA and it didn't work with your system you could
always change it back, couldn't you? You should at least be using WEP.

My concern after reading your original post is that others seem to be
using your access and are in a position to steal sensitive information
from your network. Was I wrong?