[pchelpers] Re: max connections

  • From: Scott McNay <wizard@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: PcCowboy <pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 23:18:49 -0500

Hi PcCowboy,

Friday, June 16, 2006, 11:05:03 PM, you wrote:

P> on another group someone is having problems with getting his 5
P> computers talking to each other, and someone brought up that home
P> only allowed 5 connections and pro 10. Wasn't sure what they were
P> talking about.

5 and 10 are correct; I misremembered.

P> Every once in a while I would look in the "My network Places" and I
P> see strange workgroups and computer names. Almost all I cannot
P> connect to, but there is one or two that I can look in their shared
P> folder. Once I had 15 computers listed.

P> I was wondering where they were coming from. Are they all wireless,
P> and my antenna is picking them up from the sides, or are they
P> leaking through from the tower. I wonder if they can see me and
P> connect. My Internet computer has to be

If you can connect to them, you might run TraceRt and nslookup and
ping with their computer names to see if they're for the same ISP.  If
so, I'd tell the ISP about it.  My understanding is that most cable
and DSL operators block systems from showing up that way.

--
Scott.