[pchelpers] google on my phone

  • From: "Trudy Alatorre" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "trudy2123" for DMARC)
  • To: pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2015 11:12:58 -0700

Hi, I have a Android smart phone that I use in service, to play videos and to
share scriptures in the King James. I have noticed in the last few days that I
cannot access my Google account (gmail or play store or hangouts). I changed
the password and I can get to my gmail on the computer, but not on the phone. I
made sure it is synced, but still, I cannot use anything google on my phone.

I used to be able to take a picture with the phone, and send it from there to
my yahoo email. Now I cannot do that anymore, guess because gmail on my phone
is blocked somehow.

Now last night I tried to download the little message from jw.org about
halloween, and whenever I pressed "download" I got the message "unfortunately,
google play has stopped" and I cannot download it. So I thought I bypass this,
took the micro SD card out of the phone, connected it to my computer, and put
it on the SD card this way. It showed up there in a folder. When I put it back
in to my phone, the halloween recording was not there.

Also, I noticed that part of my videos and pictures changed the name to weird
chinese looking characters and I cannot open them anymore. That told me I got
hacked somehow. I have Kaspersky on my phone since a long time and I scan
regularely, it never found anything.

Now I got a email from Emsisoft (I used them in the past) that talked about a
virus called "stagefright" which attacks Android phones. Has anybody heard of
that and what it does? I thought about going back to factory settings on the
phone, but I am not sure if that will fix the issue because it seems to have
something to do with the google account (not on my computer, just on the
phone).

I would be happy to hear what you all think about that.

Thanks,
Trudy